Brown County Commission 5.18.2020

Submitted by Melissa Gormley, County Clerk

The Board of Brown County Commissioners met in regular session on Monday, May 18, with the following members present: Chairman Dwight A. Kruse, Keith Olsen and Richard L. Lehmkuhl. Also present was Brown County Deputy Clerk Dawn Boyles. County Attorney Kevin Hill was present for a portion of the meeting via video conferencing. Kruse opened the meeting at 8:10 a.m. The Pledge of Allegiance was recited by all. Commissioner Lehmkuhl led the meeting with a prayer.

John Broberg, Hiawatha Community Hospital (HCH) CEO, updated the commissioners on happenings at HCH. Broberg stated they have tested 222 people through HCH with one test still outstanding.

COVID-19

Chastity Schumann, NEK Multi County Health, and Don Pounds, Brown County Emergency Management Director, met with the commissioners via video and phone conference. Schumann stated there are currently five confirmed COVID-19 cases in Brown County, with one of them recovered. There is six to eight tests they are still awaiting results for.

Schumann also requested approval to hire a part-time temporary disease investigator to help with the investigations of COVID-19. FEMA will cover 75 percent of the wages, with the Brown County Health department covering the other 25 percent.

Schumann is on board with Governor Laura Kelly’s current 1.5 plan. Pounds does not feel Brown County needs to go any stricter than the Governor’s 1.5 plan at this time.

Brown County Treasurer Cheryl Lippold requested clarification on opening the courthouse Tuesday through Friday from 1 to 4 p.m. by appointment only. Schumann agreed that the county could move forward with those plans. Services for the Elderly taxi service will still be on hold until June 1.

The commissioners approved the motion to open up self-serve beverages within the county, with a new cup to be used every time, and to keep buffets and salad bars closed at this time – effective May 18 at 9:02 a.m. and will expire June 1 at 12:01 a.m.

Department Reports

Commissioner Lehmkuhl announced Terry Siebenmorgen has accepted the position of District 1 Road Foreman, effective May 4.

County Attorney Hill discussed the video interview system. The current video interview system is starting to fail and needs replaced. The bid from Voice Products Inc. for the upgrade is $10,830, as well as an additional $7,436 for a five year maintenance agreement. The commissioners approved the upgrade for $10,830, as well as an additional $7,436 for five year maintenance to be paid for from the miscellaneous funds.

The board discussed the needs for a road and bridge secretary. The commissioners approved the motion to advertise for a part-time road and bridge secretary until the position is filled.

Also at the meeting:

The commissioners approved the May 11 meeting minutes.

The board approved the motion to allow the Brown County Health Department the authority to hire a part-time temporary disease investigator at $20 per hour, with a minimum of 10 hours per week.

The commissioners approve Resolution 2020-12, COVID-19 Public Health Emergency Resolution.

The next regular meeting will be held Friday, May 29, to approve month end bills.

The Sabetha Herald1900 Posts

The Sabetha Herald has been serving Sabetha since 1876.

0 Comments

What Are Your Thoughts?

Login

Welcome! Login in to your account

Remember me Lost your password?

Lost Password