Nemaha County Commission 6.1.2021

Submitted by  Mary Kay Schultejans, County Clerk

The Board of Nemaha County Commissioners met in regular session on Tuesday, June 1, in the Commissioner’s Room of the Nemaha County Courthouse. The meeting was called to order with Chairman Gary Scoby leading the flag salute. Present also were Commissioners Dylan Keim and Jason Koch, Road and Bridge/Solid Waste Supervisor Adam Kuckelman and Office Manager Kathy Haverkamp, and County Clerk Mary Kay Schultejans recording the minutes.

Department Reports

Kuckelman advised the board that:

• The guys are hauling chips at this time.

• The dozer is repaired and back in use at the landfill at this time.

• The glass breaker has been fixed that is used at the landfill.

• He is still waiting on estimates to replace doors at the landfill.

• Office Manager Kathy Haverkamp needed signatures on a contract with KDOT to replace Bridge N-5 in Illinois Township. KDOT will pay 90 percent of the cost to replace the bridge while the county will pay the remaining 10 percent. Kuckelman stated he would get more information concerning this project for the board before they sign the contract.

• He needed an executive session with commissioners. The board held a 10-minute executive session until 9:25 a.m. to discuss the pay of non-elected personnel. Present for the executive session was the Board of Commissioners, Kuckelman and Haverkamp. Scoby announced that Lane Hanzlicek in the Road and Bridge Department will be moved on the pay scale effective May 21. Hanzlicek’s pay will be increased from $15.88 per hour to $17.43 per hour.

Noxious Weed Director Mixie Vance advised the board that:

• She has hired Aiden Caffrey and Garrett Schmelzle as summer help for the Noxious Weed Department. Caffrey began work for the county on May 19 at a rate of pay of $9.50 per hour. Garrett Schmelzle began work for the county on May 25 at a rate of pay of $9.25 per hour.

• The new tractor has been delivered at this time.

Emergency Preparedness Director Russel Lierz advised the board that:

• He received quotes from AHRS Construction for the installation of a helicopter pad in Bern and in Wetmore. Lierz shared these quotes with the board. No action was taken concerning theses quotes at this time.

• He has had three individuals look at installing a fire alarm system at the courthouse. Lierz stated he is still waiting to receive bids from these individuals at this time.

• He is still working with the City of Bern to get their tornado siren installed.

Sheriff Rich Vernon and Undersheriff Bob Cross advised the board that:

• Angel O’Neil has submitted her resignation as a full-time dispatcher effective June 5. After June 5, O’Neil will remain on staff as a relief dispatcher.

Heather Robinson was moved from Dispatcher in Training to Dispatcher Level 1 effective April 21. Her rate of pay was increased from $16.50 per hour to $17.50 per hour.

• They had a recent visit from the Fire Marshall. Vernon stated they have lots of little things that need to be corrected, but the major item is that they are now required to have an annual load test on the generators for the jail/dispatch office.

• They need to reorder a supply of Narcan, which is a drug carried by deputies that stops the effect of drugs in someone’s system for about 20 minutes.

• They are currently holding seven inmates in the jail.

Dana Schmelzle, Anna Baker, Alexandra Clark and Mandie Lang came before the board on behalf of the Nemaha County Conservation District. The group provided an update to the board concerning the services provided to Nemaha County residents. The group also submitted a budget request to the commissioners for 2022 in the amount of $35,000, which is the same amount that has been appropriated to this organization over the last several years.

Senior Services/Public Transit Director Diane Yunghans and Administrative Assistant Marie Weaver came before the board to speak to the commissioners about the construction of the new Senior Center/Transit Facility.

Michael Schmelzle from the Nemaha County Planning Commission came before the board to provide an update to the commissioners regarding the Nemaha County Comprehensive Plan process.

Also at the meeting:

At 12:15 p.m., the commissioners recessed for 20 minutes for lunch.

The board reviewed vouchers submitted by the different departments that were paid at the end of May. The commissioners approved the May 2021 pay vouchers and warrants as presented.

The board reviewed and approved the minutes with corrections noted from the May 17 meeting.

The next regularly scheduled meeting was held Monday, June 7. These minutes were not available at The Herald’s press time.

0 Comments

What Are Your Thoughts?

Login

Welcome! Login in to your account

Remember me Lost your password?

Lost Password