Nemaha County Commission 5.23.2022
Submitted by Mary Kay Schultejans, County Clerk
The Board of Nemaha County Commissioners met in regular session on Monday, May 23, in the Commissioner’s Room of the Nemaha County Courthouse. The meeting was called to order with Chairman Dylan Keim leading the flag salute. Present also were Commissioners Jason Koch and Gary Scoby, and County Clerk Mary Kay Schultejans recording the minutes.
Road and Bridge/Solid Waste Supervisor Adam Kuckelman, along with Office Manager Kathy Haverkamp, advised the board that:
• The guys are still blade patching at this time.
• The guys have finished hauling chips in preparation for sealing roads later this summer.
• Lane Beck now has his CDL. Following discussion, the commissioners decided to increase Beck’s pay from $16.88 per hour to $18.43 per hour effective May 21.
• The guys are dragging roads and working on Bridge B-17 at this time as well.
• He plans to stock pile some white rock to use for shoulder rock along overlayed roads.
Sheriff Rich Vernon advised the board that:
• He is down five employees at this time.
Treasurer Janell Niehues came before the board to let the commissioners know that she has moved Rebecca Morrison to Motor Vehicle Deputy. Morrison’s pay will increase from $17.60 per hour to $18.21 per hour, effective May 21.
County Attorney Brad Lippert came before the board. The commissioners spoke to Lippert about open meeting requirements and about security issues at county buildings.
Senior Services/Public Transit Director Tammy Epple and Administrative Assistant Marie Weaver came before the board. Epple presented to the commissioners a plan she would like to move forward with for office space for her department. The board advised Epple to go ahead and move forward with this plan.
Epple introduced Jeremy Wiltz with Midland Care to speak to the commissioners today about Midland Care providing services for the elderly in Nemaha County.
Also at the meeting:
The commissioners approved a Cereal Malt Beverage application submitted by St. Mary’s Catholic Church. Keim signed the Cereal Malt Beverage license as presented.
Keim left the meeting at 1 p.m. and returned at 1:25 p.m. Co-Chairman Jason Koch left the meeting at 1:20 p.m.
The board reviewed and approved the minutes from the May 16 meeting.
The commissioners will not meet the week of May 30. The next regularly scheduled meeting will be held at 9 a.m. Monday, June 6.